Zipping Up an LC standalone program

Pete pete at mollysrevenge.com
Tue Apr 10 20:04:35 EDT 2012

I guess my primary concern is that a user can simply download the
compressed file and either have his browser autoatically un-compress it or
just be able to double-click on it to un-compress it, then have the program
be ready to use.  I may be misunderstanding but sounds like it might not be
that straightforward with tar?
Pete

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Mark Schonewille <
m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Yes, you're right, tar is older. Nonetheless, can you think of any other
> reason why one would want to use tar, except for glueing files together in
> preparation of compression? I'm not sure what you mean by "property bundle
> up bits of code".
>
> I don't think that tar is available on Windows by default, but that's
> another story.
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Mark Schonewille

> Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
> KvK: 50277553
>
> Get the extIco2Png external for LiveCode here http://qery.us/1w6
>
> On 11 apr 2012, at 01:14, Tim Jones wrote:
>
> > On Apr 10, 2012, at 4:02 PM, Mark Schonewille wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Tar is a bad idea because it glues files together and doesn't compress.
> Tar was invented to allow gzip to compress multiple files. It is easier and
> faster to use the zip command line tool rather than to use both tar and
> gzip. Many unix geeks still prefer tar+gzip but I'm not sure why.
> >
> > Wha???
> >
> > "tar" (Tape ARchiver) has been around since before we even considered
> compression schemes.  It wasn't until the Linux / FreeBSD movement that
> compression options were added.  On most systems still using AT&T tar
> sources, you have to compress an archive after tar creates it and
> decompress an archive before tar can extract its contents.
> >
> > We prefer tar and a compressor because it allows up to properly bundle
> up bits of code, regardless of the file types, and share them with others
> while reduing the overall footprint required on disk and for transfer.  The
> tar app is available in one form or another on every platform out there, so
> you can pretty much always open another's tarball.
> >
> > In fact, I believe Dennis' original PDP MULTIX 9-track install tapes
> used a precursor to the modern tar format.
> >
> > Tim

Pete