Forwarded from Grandpa L

Robert Mann rman at free.fr
Wed Apr 4 21:04:09 EDT 2012

Many thanks for this great link.

How to improve teaching? How to self teach yourself? This is one of the
greatest question... (the next one being :: what for? what to do with
knowledge!?)

Episode 1 : Its a long time since I had the intuition that videos could
serve to a great extend. I launched videos for french kids to learn english
a while ago. But I did not get the right to expand and add some tools to
help kids actually learn from them. I was a bit.. frustrated, because I
"felt" videos on their own would not be enough.

Episode 2 - That initial enthusiasm was later on counterbalanced by
"scientific" studies that concluded that, to the majority of viewers and
particularly children, their mind where distracted by the artefact of the
videos and that they would not use the backward/forward facility to adapt
the videos to their learning pace. The result being that they would not
learn much from videos. Also it was put forward that a human interaction was
key to the memorizing process. So I thought it was not such a great idea to
put children in front of a tv even if it was to train their french ears to
the esoteric sound of english...

So I also set aside some other projects I had, to expand this educative
video business and eventually killed it (also for other personnal reasons).

Episode 3 - That breathtaking video... and site etc.. does bring something
really knew on the subject for me.
The radical way of thinking is : make good use of time spent in front of a
tv, get the lectures there AND maximize in quality the time spent with the
teachers and classmates... thus boosting this essential human relation in
the learning process :: whouaouu!!!! THis seems like a great solution to
several huge problems.

As far as runrev - revolution is concerned and this list, It could well be
that an educative free limited entry point to xtalk programming would
encourage lots of students to co-develop little learning applications and
then later on pick up with full version... I do not know if it would be a
sound commercial way to go, but at least it would be a great humanitarian
way to go... and why not hand in hand with www.khanacademy.org ??