[OT] Justified boast?

Tim Jones tolistim at me.com
Wed Apr 4 11:58:51 EDT 2012

On Apr 4, 2012, at 8:47 AM, Richmond wrote:

> "Real Studio is the only object-oriented, cross-platform software development tool that enables users at all levels to create powerful, stand-alone, native applications for Mac OS X, Windows, Linux and the web."
>
> http://www.realsoftware.com/realstudio/
>
> I wonder how true this is if one puts RealBASIC head-to-head with Livecode?
>
> I must say I do wonder how they can use the word 'only' quite so blatantly?

Unfortunately, aside from LC not being an OO language, it's a very true claim as LC still does not offer native controls on all three platforms (web is another story).

I use both for very different purposes, but aside from very custom UIs, a LC app versus a RS app reveals the significant work that the RS team have put into their frameworks and what's lacking in LC.

Just look at the Linux discussion of late as an example; there's a huge disparity between Linux and the Windows/Mac options.  We have an enterprise app that we wrote in RS that runs with a proper native look and feel on all three platforms.  When I tried to do something similar using LC, the results were less than attractive.

One big issue for us is the lack of an interactive / asynchronous shell class.  For now, when you execute something in a shell in LC, your app blocks until the shelled process returns.  This makes writing wrappers for long running background process much more work than it should be in LC.

I've discussed this with the LC team and while 5.5 gets us closer, they're not there yet IMO.

Tim