OT: mails bouncing back?

Tim Jones tolistim at me.com
Tue Apr 3 11:48:21 EDT 2012

On Apr 3, 2012, at 8:40 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Blocking entire IP ranges is not a responsible way to blacklist, since it can - an inevitably does - affect legitimate users.  It's simply lazy, a ham-fisted scorched-earth way to solve a problem that requires more surgical methods.
>
> In fact, it seems On-Rev.com may be a very good example of how this gets out of hand so easily, since AFAIK their servers aren't on GoDaddy at all, but on SoftLayer:
>
> <http://on-rev.com/hosting/our-data-center/>
>
> And even if some accounts were host by GoDaddy, unless those specific servers are used for illegal activity there's no excuse for any responsible blacklisting service to block them.

In the case of secureserver.net, the blacklists don't block on the IP in this case, but on the domain.  That's why you don't have issues with your OnRev site, but only with mail sent FROM the site.  The idea is to cause enough pain for GoDaddy to get something done.  I don't like it or agree with it, but I can see the logic…

As for GoDaddy otherwise, we've had a very successful run with them for over 5 years since we moved to the VPS structure.  It's great to be in complete control of our server with none of the maintenance headaches.  We even run a BRU Server client on the VPS and backup everything as part of our normal, daily corporate backups.

Tim