OT: mails bouncing back?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Apr 3 10:19:53 EDT 2012

Pete wrote:
> I got caught in this web a couple of years back (I think it was with
> GoDaddy).  Here's the problem I have with the blacklist sites.  Their
> blanket blackballing of servers means that the 99% of users who are using
> it for genuine, non-spam emails get dumped on for the sins of the 1%.
>  Personally, I sgtrongly object to having my genuine emails blocked in this
> fashion.  It's illegal to tamper with the US Mail and it should be illegal
> to block the delivery of genuine email as well.

I've had domains caught up with sloppy blacklisting schemes myself.

It's not a problem with RunRev, or their host, but with the lazy nature
of a few blacklisting systems.

<rant>
Worse, the sloppiest blacklisters are also the most difficult to try to
reason with once your machine falls onto their list.  The arrogance I
encountered dealing with them was beyond the most rude behavior I've
seen in any other context.  Living as they do in a world of false
assumptions, they (at least at the time I tried to deal with them) seem
to regard all request as spammers trying to get a free pass in their
system, completely oblivious to the most patient and reasoned
explanations of their error.  They seem to presume that such an
inherently faulty method is somehow beyond the ability to ever result in
a false-positive, in spite of countless articles across the web
explaining how that's the case, indulging themselves in the fantasy of
playing some sort of romantic vigilante role, protecting the world from
evildoers even if it means killing thousands of legitimate emails along
the way.  "If you're complaining you must be a spammer!   Hey, it's just
collateral damage in the noble fight against spam!  You gotta be willing
to break a few eggs if you want to make an omelette!  Freedom isn't
free!  Ignorance is strength!"

They're welcome to prove me wrong at any time:

1. Stop being rude to innocent people trapped by the broken system
2. Fix the broken system
</rant>

--
  Richard Gaskin