near feature parity

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 07:15:16 EDT 2012

I gave up on LiveCode on Linux some years ago.

Last week I downloaded and installed one of the v5.x installers from
my LiveCode account, and installed it on Mint Linux.  As soon as I
started LiveCode, it hung.  Luckily, as it started, the LiveCode
window was smaller than the monitor - as even when I started the task
killer to kill it, the task killer could not get access to any portion
of the screen in which the LiveCode window was located.

If I'd been able to get LiveCode to work, I was prepared to pay for
Linux deployment.  As I couldn't, I saved myself some money (for about
the 3rd or 4th year running).

To my recollection, I've had trouble with LiveCode on Mint, OpenSuse
and CentOS - 3 of the top 7 distros on distrowatch.org.  I can't even
recollect if I ever got it to work satisfactorily on Debian or Ubuntu
- I'm sure I tried.  I think I might have it installed on an Ubuntu
laptop, so when I get back, I'll have a look (just to satisfy my own
belief that it was a cause worth giving up on).

The money I saved on paying for only the minimum that I need from
Runrev bought me a new Macbook Air (a device I love, so I'm not
complaining -- even though I hate the direction in which Apple is
going).

Bernard