"send" in 24-hours

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at mac.com
Fri Sep 9 01:46:09 EDT 2011

Nicholas,

I don't think there are any specific concerns about very long send it times other than the minor ones I'm writing here.

1. You will have a problem when Daylight Savings time kicks in and out because it is counting the seconds not actually paying attention to what time it is.

2. Obviously if the program quits and restarts all pending sends are canceled so at startup you will need to set them.

3. You will want to make sure you are not accumulating unfinished sends. If you end up with more than one send message for the same thing each one will be processed.

4. To avoid these problems you could have a process that cancels all pending messages (say at midnight) and then recreates them. This would avoid the DST changes. It is surprisingly easy to accumulate pending messages. If you know how many you are supposed to have at any one time then check to see if there are more than that. But then you will have to figure out the ones you want to keep from the ones you don't. It is pretty easy to just cancel all of them periodically and then recreate them.

5. You want to avoid what I call "time creep". If you know the specific times of day then calculate the number of seconds from "now" to that time. That way you will avoid potentially adding a second or so on each iteration.

Bill Vlahos
InfoWallet (http://www.infowallet.com) is about keeping your important life information with you, accessible, and secure.