Making Sense of Licenses

Maarten Koopmans maarten.koopmans at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 01:45:46 EDT 2011


...precisely why I renewed, because upgrade fees per component are not too
much compared with a new license. But, I have the dev program too, so far
worth the money, especially if you're doing mobile.

LC has a much more agressive release cycle these dats, with smaller
improvement coming faster in dot or dot-dot releases.

Personally, I kept my licenses up to date because it was not too expensive,
especially with the recently more agile release cycle. And FWIW: RunRev does
pay attention to the needs (e.g.  enhancements) of those opting in for the
dev program.

All in all, the last 6 months have been a pleasant experience - I think you
can see commitment from Heather's reactions as well.

--Maarten

On Thursday, October 20, 2011, Pete <pete at mollysrevenge.com> wrote:
> Thanks Mark.  As you say, can't predict the future but good to know what
the
> current situation is, I guess the question should really be addressed to
> Heather.
>
> Pete
> Molly's Revenge <http://www.mollysrevenge.com>
>
>
>
>
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Mark Schonewille <
> m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Pete,
>>
>> You never know what future brings, but I believe you'd pay for a new
>> license instead of a renewal. If you wait yet another year, you'd still
pay
>> the same price for 7.0, which means you get all 6.0 features for free,
just
>> like any new customer.
>>
>> In my case, I'd pay for 5.0 after having waited a long time and in the
long
>> term I'm not paying more than otherwise but I won't get anything for free
>> either, because the previous big update was the 4.6 cycle, which I didn't
>> buy, and I'd just have to pay a little more for 5.0 (I hope you can
follow
>> what I'm saying).
>>
>> However, I'm not going to buy the full package. I'm only going to pay for
>> the components I really need and next year I will only update those
>> components that I really need. This way, I expect to pay roughly 250 or
300
>> euro per year instead of 500 for the subscription deal.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Mark Schonewille
>>
>> Economy-x-Talk Consulting and Software Engineering
>> Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtalkprogrammer
>> KvK: 50277553
>>
>> See what you get with only a small contribution. All our LiveCode
downloads
>> are listed at http://qery.us/zr
>>
>> On 20 okt 2011, at 18:36, Pete wrote:
>>
>> > I'm curious as to what happens if you do this.  If I opt to not get my
>> > 5.0 upgrade, then when 6.0 comes out decide I want it, do I have to pay
>> the
>> > 6.0 upgrade fee AND the 5.0 upgrade fee?  I would guess yes otherwise
I'd
>> be
>> > getting the 5.0 fixes and enhancements for free.
>> > Pete
>> > Molly's Revenge <http://www.mollysrevenge.com>
>> >
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> use-livecode mailing list
>> use-livecode at lists.runrev.com
>> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
>> subscription preferences:
>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>>
>>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> use-livecode at lists.runrev.com
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>



More information about the Use-livecode mailing list