New rendering testing

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 18:27:46 EDT 2011

Hi Joe and Jim,

Joe, many thanks for your kind words!
I always hope that my scripting experiments
would do more good than harm and at least
should be useful to show the Do's and Don'ts
on the specific topics that I worked with.

James Hurley wrote:

> [snip]
> Kevin and I discussed the possibility of implementing it as part of Run
> Rev.
> They were more interesting in education at the time.

Yes, I hope to see more Livecode and LOGO teaching
in the future. In LOGO, the teacher is fundamental to
produce extraordinary results.
The greatest teaching ideas are widely celebrated and
quickly forgotten... almost like a ritual.
In my eyes, the longer I look into the Education field
this become more and more paradoxical. Almost like a
Lewis Carroll tale, with the complete cast of characters.

I am sure that Livecode is a resounding sucess when used
to teach Introduction to Computer Programming.
At least for me, this computer language provided the
confidence to try many ideas that I would not even dare to.
Yes, this computer language inspire confidence.
Does every computer language instill this
in their users/developers?

Why Livecode teaching is not more extended, as expected,
in the English speaking world? My best guess is that
everyone that look at Livecode, believe that it's a
neat idea... and their next question is:
Is this endorsed, recommended and approved by the
powers that be in education???
This is exactly the moment where you understand
that more and more people in the education field
are not, and do not pretend to be leaders, but followers...

Sad, but true...

James Hurley wrote:

> I'm not sure where that file you found came from, but it is not very
> readable.
> I have a clean version I will send you separately. Do not share it with
> others
> at this time. I have retitled (and did some rewriting of)  the Logo
> Physics book
> to "Programming for Science Students." I think that is the appropriate
> market
> --if one exists at all.

Received. Many Thanks! :-)

James Hurley wrote:

> [snip]
> Unfortunately I am out of touch with this market now and so have
> nothing for you about current applications, if any. Trouble is perception.
> It is perceived as a tool for children, a perception quickly dispelled in
> Turtle Geometry by Abelson and diSessa. The last chapter is titled:
> Curved Geometry and General Relativity.

Interesting enough, in this page:
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=7287
there is a surprising error:
Hal Abelson is Class of 1922 Professor of Computer Science and
Engineering at Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Class of 1922!!! Extraordinary, to say the least. :-)

By the way, your stack:
http://jamesphurley.com/jhurleyFolder/NineBallWithSpin.rev
is the only game that I play with some frecuency.

Thanks again, Jim