Android/iOS datapoints

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Mon Nov 21 14:34:05 EST 2011

On 21/11/2011 18:35, Colin Holgate wrote:
> iOS: 106,000 copies sold
> Android: 72,000 copies sold
> Android without Nook or Fire: 5,000 copies sold

Colin -

Thank you - and your Flash buddy - very much for this.  It's very interesting.

Just to be sure I understand, is this in effect:
	iOS: 106,000 copies sold
	Nook + Fire (Android): 67,000 copies sold
	Other Android: 5,000 copies sold

... and these were for the same period, ie any general marketing of the app
will have benefited both platforms equivalently?

Also, do you know whether the current 50% cut in the Amazon price was in fact
in place for most of the period in question, ie were these sales at
approximately equal consumer price points, or were the iOS sales made at
roughly twice the price of the Android?

On 21/11/2011 18:49, Andre Garzia wrote:
 > Before placing software on the mobile appstores and praying for reviews, I
 > think developers should prepare a zero-day huge marketing boost
 > I think it doesn't matter which way you go (iOS or Android) as long as you
 > can get your little gem noticed.

Andre - I agree with you about the critical importance of marketing.

But my question relates to the situation in which you have somehow generated
attention, outside the app stores; how do sales in response to that attention
pan out?  If it needs effort to develop for each platform - and even using a
cross-platform solution it does - then deciding whether to go for one or the
other or both does matter.

Ben