SoCal LUG meeting: Dec 1, Pasadena

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Nov 17 12:00:50 EST 2011

The SoCal LiveCode User Group will be meeting in Pasadena on Thursday,
Dec 1 - details in the SC LUG forum that Heather graciously set up for
us in the general LiveCode forums:

<http://forums.runrev.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=9577>

Attendance is open to anyone who wants to show up.  The only requirement
is an interest in bantering about LiveCode for a couple hours.

I'd like to take this opportunity to invite everyone to consider
starting up LiveCode groups in your own communities.

One of the things I've enjoyed about the Ubuntu community is their
practice of holding Ubuntu Hour events, small local gatherings where the
members just pick a location and regular meeting time, and show up to
talk about their favorite tech.

The informality of Ubuntu Hours makes them very easy to set up and keep
going.  There are no formal presentations, no agendas, and venues are
simple, often held in a local coffee shop, restaurant, or other public
space.

What works for Ubuntu users can work for us LiveCoders as well:

LiveCode's audience has grown enough in recent years that most large
cities - and even a few small ones - probably have enough members to
make it worth doing.

And by taking a less formal approach to setting them up, they can be
easy and fun and a great way to share ideas, solve problems, and enjoy
the company of people who share your interest in LiveCode.

In SoCal, we've enjoyed holding larger meetings in the past, but frankly
driving time on LA freeways makes it very difficult to do for the region
as a whole.

So instead it seems much simpler and no less enjoyable to just set up
smaller local meetups instead.

And these can be done anywhere.  Even in your neighborhood.

Heather has kindly set up a forum for local meetings in the LiveCode forums:

<http://forums.runrev.com/viewforum.php?f=30>

With all the new LiveCode users coming on board there, that's a great
place to post a note with something like, "I'm in Eau Claire, Wisconsin
- who wants to meet me this Tuesday for a LiveCode get together at
Peet's Coffee"?

If the fun we've had in our SoCal group is any indication, you're about
to have a very good time.  This list is great, the forums are great, and
LiveCode TV is stellar, but in-person discussion among friends who share
a common interest as deep as LiveCode is an unmatchable good time.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World