Mac video conversion from command line?

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Fri Nov 11 13:50:51 EST 2011

On Nov 11, 2011, at 11:35 AM, Phil Davis wrote:

> Hey People,
>
> Do you use a command line tool of some sort on your Mac to convert .mov files to web formats? I sure would like to hear about it.
>
> I'm expecting that I need to end up with several file types as described in this piece of advice from the web:
>
> Make one version that uses WebM (VP8 + Vorbis).
> Make another version that uses H.264 baseline video and AAC “low complexity” audio in an MP4 container.
> Make another version that uses Theora video and Vorbis audio in an Ogg container.
>
> Here is the advice source:
> http://diveintohtml5.info/video.html
>
> Thanks for your input! My goal is to create a LC front end to manage the commandline-driven coversion process.

Phil,

You might want to look into FFMPEG <http://ffmpeg.org/>, an open source project that I used in one LC app to transcode video for uploading to a server. It was fairly easy to figure out, and there was an easy-to-follow set up instructions for compiling it to your specific platform and OS. (One thing I discovered was that it needed to be compiled separately for Leopard vs. Snow Leopard. Once it was compiled I just made it part of my .app bundle and the application makes shell calls to it as needed.

HTH

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University