[OT?] ADOBE DROPS FLASH for HTML5

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Nov 11 09:29:20 EST 2011

Mark Wieder rote:

> Richard-
>
> Adobe has also killed off AIR for linux. So not only no linux
> development, but no linux deployment either.

I'm quite happy to return the favor. :)

AIR is fundamentally flawed by requiring the installation of the engine
separately from the apps that use it.

If there's any other way to deploy with it it must be broken since I've
not seen anyone use it.  Instead I see "Before you can install this app
you need to install Adobe Air", at which point I click "Cancel" and move
on to any alternative app made by developers who care about delivering a
clean experience.

LiveCode totally outshines AIR in that regard:  the small 2.3 MB engine
is easily bound to the app to make it truly stand alone - no
dependencies, no dependency conflicts.  There's no confusion about what
files are needed to make an app run, and zero chance of conflict if
another LiveCode app requires a different engine version.

For those end users who crave dependency conflicts, they can find many
in the Linux world without using AIR.

But if they just want to great apps made quickly and easily there are
far better options, LiveCode being one of them.

VMs are useful.  Embedded VMs are infinitely more useful.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World