Unicode and revBrowser: "selected" property and callback messages

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun May 29 20:14:36 EDT 2011

On 5/29/11 2:21 PM, Slava Paperno wrote:

> For example, you can't type or display Unicode in the Variable Watcher, or
> Message Box, or script, or the answer and ask boxes (w/o resorting to a
> really impossible kludge of using HTML entities), and for any string
> processing you have to convert the UTF16 text in a field to a UTF8 string,
> and then convert the results of your processing back to UTF16 for display;
> and you have to remember that length(MyStr) returns the number of bytes, not
> the number of characters, and so when you use it on a field the result will
> be different than when you use it on the variable that holds the same text,
> etc. Then there is this really weird way to refer to a single character as a
> sequence of two characters because each byte in a double-byte string is
> treated as a character... Not a very friendly programming environment.

I'm glad you've got a workaround for now. I don't think it's a secret
that full support for unicode is high on the list and is coming. RR
doesn't expect you to jump through all those hoops forever, and when
they are done, you won't have to worry about unicode at all. Text and
text chunking will work the same, regardless of the encoding or other
geeky things that we don't want to care about. A word will be a word no
matter what. A character will be a character regardless of how many
bytes it takes. So hang on. ;)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com