Importing Unicode text to a field .. How?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat May 28 23:29:12 EDT 2011

On 5/28/11 3:56 PM, Web Admin Himalayan Academy wrote:

> Interesting that you cannot do the replacement in the field itself, you
> have to do it to the data in the variable *before* you pass it to the
> field. because
>
> replace numtochar(13) with numtochar(10) in fld "unicode_Script"
>
> does not work.

I'm just guessing, but I think that once the text has gone into the
field and has been converted to 2-byte text, each carriage return is
preceded (or followed) by a null. Replacing only one byte of the 2-byte
line ending may not be enough to convince the engine that you intend it
to be a carriage return. If you do the replacement before the text is
transformed, then the line endings are retained because the engine
itself has done the line ending conversions.

This is just me making things up that sound right, of course.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com