Importing Unicode text to a field .. How?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat May 28 23:22:51 EDT 2011

On 5/28/11 4:25 PM, Slava Paperno wrote:
> Cool, jacque! I am impressed.
>
> Just for my edification, how did you know that the original text was in
> UTF16?

I'm afraid it won't help with your scripting. I just opened the file in
BBEdit, it tells you what the encoding is. Then I had it show invisible
characters and saw that there were standard Mac carriage returns in it.

So there was nothing really that impressive.

> And if you knew that, maybe you also know why my attempts to
> getRevBrowserGet(browserID, "selected") for Cyrillic text returns the
> dreaded question marks? I posted this in the using Externals and Plugins
> forum, as well as on this list, and no one responded.

That usually means that nobody knows the answer. I didn't. But in
general, question marks and other odd characters in text means the font
doesn't have the right character set. You could try setting the
useUnicode to true and then getting the chartonum() of some of the
question marks to see if they really are the right characters in the
Cyrillic font table. If so, then you should be able to put the text into
a field that's set up with the right font and they should look okay.

> I also got no responses to my question about sending messages from the Web
> page in revBrowser back to the stack (same forum)... I guess not many
> experts use LC with Unicode... and the famous Tim Bobo is probably on
> vacation...

I haven't worked with unicode much at all, and I think you're right that
not many of us have. But I know there are people on this list who use
it, and some have written multi-language stacks that use it.

I'm not sure what you're asking though. Maybe we should start with the
goal you need to accomplish; that will make the question clearer.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com