Importing Unicode text to a field .. How?

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Tue May 24 23:59:20 EDT 2011

  I converted some Mylai-Sri (Tamil) Type 1 fonts to unicode. I can open
these in Pages, select the text, choose the native Mac OS X Tamil
unicode font: Inaimathi New and I get Tamil glyphs... if I copy and
paste to a field in Livecode it appears as expected.

But, now, I want to import the same unicode raw text files that I am
opening in Pages into Livecode fields by script.

I cannot get it to work:

on mouseup
    answer file "Choose the Unicode for this song" with "OK"
    put url ("file:/" & it) into tUnicode
    set the unicodetext of  fld "Unicode_Script_Title" to line 3 of
tUnicode

# though the above should do it ,but I get garble in the field,

#this does not help either:

set the textfont of char 1 to -1 of fld "Unicode_Script_Title" to
"Inaimathi New"

# still garble

end mouseup

clues?