[OT] Pirate software in Germany?

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Tue May 24 13:50:49 EDT 2011

I guess it comes down to this: Civilized societies must always decide on a balance between how much injustices they can tolerate, vs. how much personal freedom and anonymity they wish to preserve. The most efficient way to minimize crime overall is to first eliminate all personal freedoms, but people generally will not tolerate that, especially when the innocent get carted off, or unjust laws are imposed and then ruthlessly enforced.

I don't think there is a way around this. Personally I would like to see every spammer who bought my address off a list I don't want to be on strung up by their toenails for a day, but some would see that as "extreme". So I live with the fact that they keep trying to hack my computer and get personal information from me to take over my identity and bleed me dry, because what I would have society do to them if we could ever round them all up would offend a lot of people.

In short, their ain't no justice. There never will be while this age lasts. Even in totalitarian states, pure justice and equity is never achieved. So what we are really talking about is how much personal freedom am I willing to give up in exchange for some modicum of protection from wicked men? For my part, I say as little as possible, because I know, having lived for 55 years, that after my freedoms are taken away, they STILL will not stop the tittle buggers from ripping people off!

Bob