LiveCode 4.6.1 message path and behaviors

Keith Clarke keith.clarke at clarkeandclarke.co.uk
Sun May 22 06:56:18 EDT 2011

Ah, thanks, Björnke - you have successfully reset my frame of reference for this now. The message flow passes through ALL the various set containers whether or not there is a handler to catch (and optionally, pass) the specific message.

I had the wrong model in my head from my initial research on the subject - primarily through misunderstanding Richard Gaskin's excellent article http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/revolution_message_path.html As a novice, I had no choice but to take the section headings literally - that 'LiveCode's Native Message Path' meant the full path - and the 'Extending the Message Path' meant inserting new handler containers into the native path. This is the model map was showing. I see now that these headings really imply 'Basic LiveCode Message Path' and 'Full Full LiveCode Message Path, respectively - which is the model you describe.

So, I have updated my map and added my initial thoughts on an MVC code framework http://db.tt/AKtyMeD

I'd be happy to walk through this on a Saturday event once it resembles a version of a partial truth! ;-)

Any feedback most welcome.
Best,
Keith..

Figure 2 in Richard's article