LiveCode 4.6.1 message path and behaviors

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Sat May 21 12:28:52 EDT 2011

On 20 May 2011, at 15:45, Keith Clarke wrote:

> It's probably about differences in 'brain-wiring' but I find that level of abstraction too difficult, when learning new concepts, training others or (the real purpose for my map) deciding where to hang the various lumps of code for my MVC application architecture.

It's not really an abstraction to me, because all I need to think is of the "flow". So the messages go up trough all the stations, unless they're "trapped" by a handler. Besides then executing, that handler can even choose to pass the message on (pass myMessage), to continue the "flow".

> So, my map is based on a slightly more concrete 'object-level' model, where the message flows involve only those classes that have been instantiated.

See, that confuses me, because there's no instatiating happening. An object/card/whatever script either is in the path or not, thats how it is to me.

> I will update the map to show message flows through both 'container classes' and 'instantiated objects'. That way, I should be able to confuse all of the people, all of the time!  Maybe a Saturday evening presentation - now there's a threat ;-)

I'll write you down for the Saturday in a week, ok?

Björnke

--

official ChatRev page:
http://bjoernke.com/chatrev