[OT] MacDefender

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Thu May 19 21:08:52 EDT 2011

While I wouldn't say people deserve to get a virus, every day I show up
for work amazes me with the stupid stuff students/consumers think and do
with computers.

So, this term -- these are non-CS majors -- we talked about doing data
backups.  Eyes rolled into the backs of their skulls.  We talked about
numerous studies showing that the ordinary user considerably overrates
his or her computer literacy.  Among the few that bothered to show up
for class, a few were actually asleep or texting or had ear buds in their
ears. (I had one today who actually TEXTED during his own group's
presentation!!!)

Last week a student hands  me his paper to review.  It had ZERO citations
despite the fact that 15% of his overall grade was the annotated
bibliography he was supposed to have turned in weeks ago.  It also was
mostly wrong in its conclusions/conclusions not really supported by
available data.

I pointed out to him that he needed citations and so he asked me for his
bibliography back.  I didn't have it with me so I told him to print out
another.  He tells me he cannot print out another because he decided to
reformat his harddrive.  Without doing a backup.

Then he defends his choice to go with zero citations because 'I'm an
expert in this area and so I thought it would be okay to just give you my
opinions.'

Ten minutes later, the same student, a Windows user, asked me for help
because he didn't know how to burn a file to a disc.

Sorry -- touched a nerve here too.

Judy