get URL from inside firewall using automatic configuration script

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue May 17 07:52:23 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 3:10 PM, Brian Meriaho <bmeriaho at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone have any luck getting LiveCode apps to connect to a website from
> within a corporate network that is set up to use an automatic configuration
> script?

Implementing support for PAC files in LiveCode isn't trivial but it can be
done. There is a function in the engine named httpProxyForURL that was
documented in the engine release notes at one time. When provided with the
PAC file (JavaScript) and some JavaScript containing some support
functions, httpProxyForURL will determine the proper proxy IP address to use
for any given URL. To properly implement PAC support httpProxyForURL needs
to be integrated into libURL (the library that handles HTTP/HTTPS/FTP
communication for LiveCode). At this point the libURL library included with
LiveCode does not integrate httpProxyForURL.

The custom version of libURL that is included with the GLX Application
Framework has httpProxyForURL built in. The framework itself has handlers
that determine the proxy URL or PAC file in use on the system and sets up
libURL accordingly. You could use the custom libURL library and extract the
relevant handlers from the framework for use in your project if you wanted
(or just use the framework for your project).

During the last month I've fixed some bugs in my custom libURL library
relating to PAC files and cookie processing. I haven't posted an update to
the framework yet that contains the fixes but I can email them to you the
relevant files if you would like.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems

LiveCode Resources for Developers: http://livecode.bluemangolearning.com

Get SQL Yoga as part of the Omegabundle for LiveCode 2011: Save 85% on
essential tools for LiveCode development - omegabundle.com.