Test stack for Gif animation and Background Patterns

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 17:57:48 EDT 2011

Hi Bernd,

on Tue May 10 14:43:56
Bernd Niggemann wrote:

> Hi Alejandro,
> tested your stack in Livecode 4.6, MacOSX 10.6.7,
> MacBook Pro Intel i5 2.53 GHz
> Processor usage in full stack size 1920x1200 37%
> no crash but unresponsive stack.

In Windows XP, processor usage raise from 01 to 09,
but memory usage barely goes from 35mb to 40mb.

> changed:
> repeat until the mouse is down
> --  code
>  wait tFrameDelay millisecond with messages
> -- code
>  wait 0 milliseconds with messages
>  end repeat

Interesting enough, this code change does not show any improvement in XP.
Maybe in Windows 7 or Vista, but not in XP.

> I think the way you coded it you choked Livecode since it had no chance to
> do a cleanup in the repeat loop.

This is a good explanation. Recently, running this stack:
http://revonline2.runrev.com/stack/577/Kaleidoscope-Deluxe
I was unable to stop the circle animation showed in third card...

> With the changes I made the stack is responsive and the animation stops as
> soon as the mouse is down. Previously the mouseClick did not stop the
> animation for me.
> I still would do this rather in a send in time manner instead of a repeat
> loop.

Yes, "send in time" is a construct that Scott Rossi demostrated in this stack:
http://andregarzia.on-rev.com/alejandro/stacks/walkingman_Rossi.zip

By the way, Did animated gif look fine in Mac OS X? No black trails?
Which LiveCode version are you using?

Thanks for your time testing this stack! :-)

Al