command line examples

Peter W A Wood peterwawood at gmail.com
Mon May 9 00:57:41 EDT 2011

Hello Todd

On 6 May 2011, at 22:52, Todd Geist wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had nice long chat with Richard Gaskin yesterday. Amongst the myriad of
> topics we discussed was how to build simple apps that could be started from
> the command line and run silently in the back ground.  I have been trying to
> do a little R and D on this idea, but I am stymied by the fact that I can't
> even get an app to launch via the command line.  I have searched the docs
> and searched on line, and It seems as though this can be done. But I can't
> find any really documentation on it, or any examples.
>
> I have an standalone called "served.app"  What is the terminal command that
> will launch it?  Are there special messages sent to the stack when it is
> launched this way?  What are the options that can be passed?  I have heard a
> rumor that there is  an option "-ui", but I have not as yet seen proof of
> it's existence.
>
> Does anyone have any examples or articles on how this is done?

Once you have created the standalone, you need to do the following:

1. Select served.app in the finder.
2. Right-click and select "Show Package Contents"
3. You will find a file called served that finder describes as a Unix executable.
4. Copy the file to the folder from which you want to run it.
5. Open terminal
6. Change to the folder (in 4 above).
7. ./served -ui

I found out how to do this from a post on the RunRev Forums from R.Robert

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Regards

Peter