command line examples

Todd Geist todd at geistinteractive.com
Fri May 6 16:28:14 EDT 2011

thanks Mark

I was able to get the terminal commands to work although you need to
reference the engine inside the OSX package. So I had to type the following
at the terminal

/Applications/LiveCode\ 4.6.app/Contents/MacOS/LiveCode -h

The same also works for standalones. You have to reference the executable
not the package.

I tried using the -ui option and it works for the dev environment.  Live
code starts up and there is no ui.  But it does appear in my Doc, as I
expected, but don't want.

I also tried with a standalone, and it launched, but it appeared to get
stuck in the launch process.  This maybe because I had no handlers in place
to catch the on open.  I will try some more tests.

Todd

Todd

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 12:45 PM, <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 6 May 2011 08:10:52 -0700, Todd Geist <todd at geistinteractive.com>
> wrote:
>
>  Is this just left over cruft?
>>

> Well, the -h argument is used by the engine, so that's just wrong.
> However...
> Not only is this *not* just leftover cruft, but I have applications that
> *rely* on passing and parsing commandline arguments.
> Type
>
> livecode.x86 -h
>
> at a terminal prompt for the current list of arguments the engine will use.
> Any others should pass through verbatim.
>
> What I do for faceless apps is invoke a startup handler that ensures
> invisibility. I don't know if the -ui argument is still valid (even though
> it shows up in the list), as it throws an error if used by itself.
>
> on startup
>  set the visible of this stack to false
> end startup
>
> --