GLXFramework

Todd Geist todd at geistinteractive.com
Thu May 5 15:27:37 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Bob Sneidar <bobs at twft.com> wrote:

> I dunno I think it's pretty dam easy out of the box! I mean, I don't have
> to worry about creating windows or menus or buttons or fields from scratch,
> someone did that for me already. I don't even have to think about how to get
> text from the user, manage memory, etc it all just works. I didn't think the
> learning curve was all that steep, but then I came from a Hypercard
> background, so I already kind of "got it".

I think the difference of opinions here can be explained mostly by a
difference in opinion in what an "App" is.

What Bob describes above is not what I mean when I say "App". What Bob
describes is a  Stack to me.  Somewhat analogous to a PHP Script.  A PHP
script with some HTML can do a lot of those same things but it certainly
fall far short of being a web application by todays standards.

When I say "App". I mean something far more than a Stack or a script. I mean
a maintainable, deployable, updatable application, that uses a reasonable
approximation of contemporary UI and Interaction.  Something that has a
chance of making it on the Mac App store ( or its X plat alternatives ).
 That is what I mean.

Of course you can build such a thing with Live Code, but the question is
how?

Frameworks exist for many other languages. PHP, Java, Groovy, Ruby, Python,
all have multiple frameworks. Ruby simply would not be the big deal it is
today if it had not been for Rails.

It would be great if Live Code had one.

Todd

Todd Geist