Long-term Planning UI Ideas

David Glass dglass at graymattercomputing.com
Wed May 4 22:51:32 EDT 2011

Not sure how many people are both here and on the forum, so if this is a
dup for you, I apologize.

Looking for a little brainstorming, and maybe best practices for an
interface for a long-term planner/calendar.

This is basically a Yearly Calendar view rather than a Monthly or Weekly
view. Years would be along the top as a main heading, with the months
broken out below them. Then, spread out along the time line (as colored
bars ??) would be whatever projects are scheduled over those months.

Like so:

2011        2012        2013        ........
JFMAMJJASONDJFMAMJJASONDJFMAMJJASOND........
  xxxxxxxxxx
            yyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
                zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
                                    www.....

(hopefully that comes through OK)

I could do a really simple version using a bunch of graphics drawn
directly on a card, but the time frame is arbitrary and could run 10s of
years into the future (and maybe it doesn't have an end; similar to how
Excel will let you scroll and scroll and scroll while continuously
incrementing the column labels)), and maybe at least 10 into the past,
and I'm not sure how I'd handle scrolling back and forward if everything
was directly on a card.

I've thought maybe a DataGrid, but haven't come up with any indication
on what the maximum number of columns is (assuming there'd be a column
for each month), and also not sure I could get the 'double header' (year
and months) to work. I'm also not sure the Form portion of the DG would
work because the row will be arbitrarily wide, and I don't think I can
set up the row template to handle that.

So, not sure what else is possible in LC (just starting out), so any and
all input is welcome.

--
David Glass - Gray Matter Computing
graymattercomputing.com