GLXFramework

Todd Geist todd at geistinteractive.com
Wed May 4 14:29:25 EDT 2011

Hello,

I haven't needed to do updates yet.  So I can't really tell you if that
works yet. I have a lot of other non Framework code to write, first :>)

But this thread makes me thing of a related topic.  Why is it so hard to
build an application in Live Code?  Not a stack, but an actual application.

I see this as one of the biggest challenges facing Live Code. If the
LiveCode platform is to grow beyond its current niche, I believe there needs
to be a well supported application framework out there.  Ideally one for
each of the deployment options.

By all accounts ruby was a cool language long before Rails.  But if it
hadn't been for Rails, probably no one would be using it today.  Years later
there are several other well supported frameworks for ruby.  But it took
Rails to get people to care about ruby in the first place.

IMO The primary reason that Rails took off, is that you started with a
complete fully functioning web application.  That is and was the default out
of the box experience.  That is not the experience you get from Live Code.
Live Code is more like Ruby, than it is like Rails.

All of the old guard here has their own take on a Framework. And most of
them have years of blood sweat and tears into their own libraries.  And they
work great for them!  I can't really make an argument to them as to why they
should change.

But for new people to have to re-think the same problems over and over again
is just plain silly. Honestly as a beginner, I don't need or want 10 ways to
do something, I need 1 well supported way.

I think GLX comes the closest to being a well supported framework suitable
for public consumption.  I am going to stick with it. Hopefully I can help
it mature.

Live Code certainly seems to be getting a nice bump with the ability to
deploy on to mobile devices and I think that is great.  I hope that some of
that energy can be directed into more support for GLX or some other
framework.

my 2 cents

Todd

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 6:27 AM, Thomas McGrath III <mcgrath3 at mac.com> wrote:

> Todd,
>
> Have you gotten any further with the framework?
>
> I am mostly concerned with the ability to auto check for updates. I am
> willing to give up on the built-in undo and even most of the externals for
> now. But with out the auto check for updates I can't really use this
> framework.
>
> Q: Do you need the custom URL Lib to be installed in order to do the auto
> updates?
>

> Tom
>

> On May 2, 2011, at 12:49 AM, Todd Geist wrote:
>
> > I have just started working with it as well, and I spoke with Trevor
> about
> > it.  I think that the docs are bit out of date.  So I would say yes that
> it
> > is probably likely.
> >

> > However, I have managed to make some good progress with it and I am
> pretty
> > out of shape LC wise having been gone since rev 2 something.  Trevor and
> the
> > google group are very helpful.  And the docs do contain lots of useful
> stuff
> >
> > Todd

Todd Geist