LC in Education

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Wed May 4 00:50:57 EDT 2011

Colin,

Moodle is gaining traction in education because it is FOSS, that is, free,
whereas Blackboard is hugely expensive and doesn't tend to play well with
any browser made outside of Redmond.  Blackboard also has exhibited
predatory patent practices and successfully locked some similar Canadian
product out of the US market (I think it was maybe Desire2Learn?).

Blackboard is evil and therefore, in my eye, anything free that's a decent
alternative gets my vote.  As I tell my students, it may well suck but
even then it sucks for free, unlike Blackboard, which my campus insists
upon licensing despite the fact that the state that funds us is nearly
bankrupt and not so long ago paid its contractors in IOUs.

Judy