Staying on a field

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at mac.com
Wed May 4 00:14:45 EDT 2011

I do a validity check on a field to see if the user entered a valid date. If the user entered a valid date and presses TAB or RETURN the focus moves on to the next field. However, if the user enters an invalid date I want to keep the focus on the field to try again.

This field script does everything correctly except that it doesn't set the focus back on the field. What am I doing wrong?

on closeField
   if me is not a date then
      answer error "Not a valid date. Retry?" with "No" or "Yes"
      if it is "Yes" then
         focus on me
         exit closeField
      end if