Unicode and Mac keyboard layouts.

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Mon Mar 21 15:57:00 EDT 2011

On Mar 21, 2011, at 11:19 AM, Richmond wrote:

> On 03/21/2011 02:28 PM, Peter W A Wood wrote:
>> Richmond
>>
>> On 21 Mar 2011, at 18:35, Richmond wrote:
>>
>>> Hey-Ho; there I am, merrily typing a letter to Mother in Sanskrit in
>>> my (endless system development lifecycle) Devawriter and the Mac
>>> merrily trips over into a Devanagari keyboard entry method that starts
>>> interfering with the method in my stack . . .
>> You wouldn't happen to have Devanagari or Devanagari - QWERTY selected under
>> System Preferences>Language&  Test>Input Sources by any chance would you?
> That is EXACTLY the problem; if those Input Sources are selected
> everything goes wrong.
>
> What worries me is that I have no way of ensuring that end-users, who,
> after all, work with
> Devanagari, won't have those Input Sources selected.
>
> So my question is whether there is anyway to set Livecode to over-ride
> those Input Sources.

Richmond,

I had precisely this problem with an Arabic project one of my students produced several years back. Unfortunately my research did not turn up a solution at that time, other than to make a note to that effect in your help documents.

Not that helpful, I know.

If you're on Mac OS it might be possible to use an AppleScript to change to the desired input method.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University