SQL Gotchas

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Wed Mar 16 19:28:01 EDT 2011

Hi kids. Just a little info. Seems that DEFAULT can be used with text types in sqLite, but NOT mySQL! <biting tongue to refrain from ranting>. Also sqLite allows a data length to be defined for DATETIME but mySQL does NOT!

I am beginning to understand why a lot of software vendors will only support one engine. Because the SQL between different engines is neither STANDARD nor is it SIMPLE. Just saying.

Does anyone know of any reference work done on the differences between engine syntaxes? I am trying to take the SQL for a table in sqLite and massage it to create the exact same table in mySQL. This is proving to be a snake pit, and I'd like to know what kind of snakes are in the pit before I jump in feet first.

Bob