Sort of OT: mysql and select from two tables...?

John Patten johnpatten at mac.com
Wed Mar 16 15:15:47 EDT 2011

Hi All...

Thanks for the previous help on the on-rev php/mysql question. I have
a question about the mysql select command, session_register, and
selecting from two tables.

I have one database with two tables. The tables are teacher_user and
student_user.

Each table has a unique teacher-id stored in a fields. So students
with the teacher_id value of 0001 stored in their student_user record
all belong to the same teacher.

Teacher_table        Student_table

id - 0001                     teacher_id = 0001
first                               first
last                               last
title                               grade

I also have the teacher login with their username and password
comparing what is stored in their db record for username and password.
If they match, then their username and password is then
session_register("username"); & session_register("password");  .

What i would like to be able to do is query the database and return a
list of students to the individual teacher based on some unique
information about the teacher's record, say their username.

is there some way I can get at the session_register("username") and
use it in my select query?

Something like:

select "username" from teacher_table and put "id" of table
teacher_table into tTeacher_id then
select tTeacher_id from student_table and loop through the student
printing each record

I suppose if the teacher new their id value I could just have them
type that into a form and do a simple query the student_table and
teacher_id field by that id value. But I was trying to make it a
little more automatic and did not want teachers trying to guess other
teachers' ids.

Thanks in advance!

John Patten
SUSD