OT: Japan

Tim Selander selander at tkf.att.ne.jp
Mon Mar 14 11:46:29 EDT 2011

Ron Barber and I are in Japan, too, in Tokyo. While damage from
the quake was not too severe, there were many deaths in the city.
Now the markets are out of food and gasoline, trains are not
running regularly, transportation's a mess, there are rolling
blackouts due to the power plants, and they just had a news
conference 12:30 am our time to say there is a big jump in leaked
radioactivity, the water level is down too far, and the rods are
exposed. This is Very Bad. The plant is 150 miles (km? can't
recall) north of Ron and I.

And of course it is much much much worse for those in the thick
of it all up north. The tsunami hit miles and miles and miles of
shoreline, running as much as 6km inland, wiping out town after
town. Then, what they are not showing cuz there aren't pictures,
are all the towns in the mountains that have had road and rail
destroyed, so are completely cut off. No food, fuel. Man, it's grim.

If you are of the "praying persuasion," this is your cue.

I don't think they've scratched the surface in counting
casualties... the numbers are going to be staggering.

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan