Following up on shell(locale) problem

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Tue Mar 1 16:42:31 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 13:00 -0800, Peter Haworth wrote:
> Hoping someone might come up with some help.  To recap, if I execute the command
>
> locale -k LC_NUMERIC
>
> ...from Terminal on my Mac, the output is
>
> decimal_point="."
> thousands_sep=","
> grouping="3;3"
>
> However, if I use the LC Shell command to issue the same command and put the output into a field, it gives me:
>
> decimal_point="."
> thousands_sep=
> grouping="0"
>
> The thousands_sep and grouping lines don't show the correct info.
>
> I have also tried using the shell command to issue "locale -k LC_NUMERIC > myFile.txt", then accessed myFile.txt with the put url command and used open/read to get the contents, but still the same result. The file looks fine when opened in TextEdit.  I can even copy and paste from TextEdit to the LC field and it looks fine.
>
> I'm really hoping not, but this is feeling like a bug.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Pete Haworth

Hi Peter,

Doing 'put shell("locale -k LC_NUMERIC")' in the message box returns the
same (expected) result for me here, running Linux, as I get in a
terminal. Same for putting the result into a field. I do get the same
unexpected behavior as you under OS X, however. I know this doesn't help
you solve you problem, but at may help isolate whatever bug it is that's
causing it.

Good Luck,

Warren