[OT ??] OpenXION

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Mon Jun 20 18:37:50 EDT 2011

On 6/20/2011 6:10 PM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
> On 06/21/2011 12:25 AM, Paul Dupuis wrote:
>> On 6/20/2011 3:25 PM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>>> http://code.google.com/p/openxion/
>>>
>>> "XION is an xTalk language similar to the ones used by HyperCard,
>>> SuperCard, and Runtime Revolution."
>>>

>> I'd like to know if RunRev has any involvement with this Open Source
>> initiative or what their take on it is?
>>

> No, I'm sure they haven't.
>
> OpenXION seems very odd indeed insofar as it is an xTalk dialect
> WITHOUT the objects and
> the stacks on which those objects reside.
>
> Rebecca Bettencourt [who has a long track record with this type of
> thing] seems to be the driving force
> behind it; whether it will go the same way as her TileStack remains to
> be seen.

Okay, from Richard's reply and yours, I can see that OpenXION is nothing
I need to pay attention to. I feel compelled to mention why I was
interested though.

As a company that develops our entire product line in LiveCode, I
readily acknowledge we gain many many benefits from doing so -
cross-platform deployment, rapid application development, etc. etc. -
over using a traditional language like C++. One disadvantage though
using almost any proprietary development system is if something happened
to the vendor (RunRev). Now, for the record, I find that highly unlikely
given current trends. I very much admire RunRev's accomplishments and
growth over the last couple of years and consider it a very well managed
company likely to be around for a long time. But I would be
irresponsible to my own company, if I did not at least take note of
developments which might lessen that tiny tiny risk, such as xTalk
having a common, open "standard' like C++. Had XION, which I was
unfamiliar with, turned out to be a broader initiative to settle on an
open standard for xTalk, it would have been something worth following.

Thanks for the replies.

--
Paul Dupuis
Cofounder