[OT ??] OpenXION

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 18:10:51 EDT 2011

On 06/21/2011 12:25 AM, Paul Dupuis wrote:
> On 6/20/2011 3:25 PM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>> http://code.google.com/p/openxion/
>>
>> "XION is an xTalk language similar to the ones used by HyperCard,
>> SuperCard, and Runtime Revolution."
>>

> I'd like to know if RunRev has any involvement with this Open Source
> initiative or what their take on it is?

No, I'm sure they haven't.

OpenXION seems very odd indeed insofar as it is an xTalk dialect WITHOUT
the objects and
the stacks on which those objects reside.

Rebecca Bettencourt [who has a long track record with this type of
thing] seems to be the driving force
behind it; whether it will go the same way as her TileStack remains to
be seen.

As there seems to be none of the visual paraphernalia (Home stack,
Tools, etc.) I cannot, honestly,
see it as in any way a competitor for LiveCode or, even, Supercard.
Devoid of objects it ends up
looking like an odd sort of BASIC; at which point I would start using a
sort of BASIC that was BASIC
rather than something that falls between 2 stools.