"do" statements and value function

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 10:08:34 EDT 2011

This might be easier to do with merge.

As an example:

*function resolveValue mySillyVar*
*   repeat until mySillyVar contains "[[" -- when merge can't replace the
value inside brackets they are left*
*      put mySillyVar into mySillyTmp -- mySillytmp is the working var*
*      put "[[" before mySillyTmp -- bracketize mySillyTmp so merge can try
it out.*
*      put "]]" after mySillyTmp*
*      put mySillyVar & ":" & merge(mySillyTmp) & return after tOut --
putput mySillyVar string followed by merged mySillyTmp*
*      put merge(mySillyTmp) into mySillyVar -- setup the next loop. If the
merge failed, brackets are left in string so loop exits*
*   end repeat*
*   replace "[[" with empty in tOut -- remove extraneous brackets*
*   replace "]]" with empty in tOut*
*   return tOut*
*end resolveValue*

The following handler:
*on mouseUp*
*   put merge("line 2 of field [[quote]]inField[[quote]]") into myVar --
just sets up the string*
*   put empty -- empty message box*
*   put resolveValue(myVar)*
*end mouseUp*

Will return evaluated pairs like so:
*line 2 of field "inField":the short name of this card*
*the short name of this card:hi mom*
*hi mom:hi mom *
*
*
No deep testing done, so problems might crop up. Does seem to work ok.

Just realized that if the merge resolves to a string containing brackets the
loop will exit, so some checks will be needed for that possibility.