Relational Layouts (was: Re: nuther new newbie nuisance)

Nonsanity form at nonsanity.com
Wed Jun 15 13:02:38 EDT 2011

As a side note, I designed the UI XML system used for Oblivion and Fallout 3
(I don't know if Bethesda is still using it for Skyrim), and it used an
active version of this sort of relational layout. You could set the left of
an image, for example, to always be the right of another image plus 10. Then
if the other image moved, so would this one.

As long as the engine could detect circular references, this made for quite
a powerful layout engine. I've wanted to duplicate it in LC for some time
now, and what with delving into the mobile market, I think it would be
excellent for dealing with many different screen sizes and orientations.

I still need to work out an simple way to add the new layout behaviors to
objects that won't get too much in the way for the developer. (Too bad we
can't have multiple behaviors for an object.)

And if anyone is interested in details of the XML version, the docs I always
wanted to write but never did have been wiki-compiled by fans here:

http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php?title=Category:Oblivion_XML&redirect=no

 ~ Chris Innanen
 ~ Nonsanity