[OT] 13 essential programming tools for the mobile Web | Mobile Technology - InfoWorld

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Mon Jun 13 20:30:55 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Paul Foraker wrote:

> http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobile-technology/13-essential-programming-tools-the-mobile-web-246
>
> *When it comes to programming for mobile devices, choice quickly becomes
> dilemma. Do you target the lucrative iPhone market at the expense of
> Android's rising tide? Do you go native or write code to the mobile Web?
> And
> while a single stack of code that performs optimally on an increasingly
> wide
> array of platforms, form factors, and devices would be the dream, the
> reality is a fragmented trial in which rudimentary tasks can often be a
> challenge.
>
> *I'm thinking maybe the author missed something.
>
> -- Paul

Realizing that you are quoting from the article you cited, I'd say yes.
 There's no mention of our favorite tool, LiveCode.  Admittedly, BvG has
made some good points about the current annoyances in LiveCode, but to me it
is still better that the alternative.  I am very comfortable with LC and the
english-like syntax, and as long as RunRev handles the platform differences
in the engine, our code can be straight-forward and the same for all
supported platforms.

I know everyone (or a large group of you) love iPads, iPhones, iClouds, and
big fast cats.  But when it comes to reaching a larger audience, we must
realize that most people in our world are in lower income families just
can't afford the absolute top of the line gear.  They may very well still be
willing to let go of a dollar or two for a killer-app that works on THEIR
device though.  I believe code should be optimized for the low-end, so apps
are at least decent for more customers. If we are going to serve a mobile
market, don't discriminate.  Your product will be more impressive and
appealing to everyone instead of only the rich kids.

˜Roger