[OT] is the Lion really just a donkey sewn inside an old lion skin?

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Sun Jun 12 15:07:09 EDT 2011

Hey don't peg me as a robotic apple fanboy/apologist.  I swear everyday at
some of the idiotic UI and procedural gyrations Apple puts us through. And I
don't stand in line for their new products. But this machine is pretty well
evolved (even though externally it looks almost identical to my 2005 G5).
 Anyway, I was forced by circumstance and availability of software for the
aging G5.  Upgrade or die. The G5 will now become my TV set.

The 12 core was not appreciably much faster for most 32 bit apps than my old
G5 Tower. Applications (such as Pro Tools) are only now starting to be 64
bit and/or use the extra processors. Still waiting for Final Cut or "X" or
whatever to be 64 bit for video editing (with 'live' rendering).   I will
try and do some Livecode benchmarks in the future and report back.

On 12 June 2011 11:26, Roger Eller <roger.e.eller at sealedair.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 1:48 PM, stephen barncard wrote:
>
> > Well for one thing, everything Apple in Lion is 64 bit and is DAMN FAST
> on
>

> What system wouldn't 'seem' fast with 12 cores and no load?  I am not one
> who believes it is good just because Apple says.

Stephen Barncard
San Francisco Ca. USA