[OT] is the Lion really just a donkey sewn inside an old lion skin?

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Sun Jun 12 14:26:58 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 1:48 PM, stephen barncard wrote:

> Well for one thing, everything Apple in Lion is 64 bit and is DAMN FAST on

 my 12-core.  Quite a jump from the old G5 of the same speed.  Granted,
> there

 was not the extra load of all the startup stuff I usually have because I
> was

 running Lion in a dedicated volume, as I was warned by the Dev group, but
> it

seemed extra stable.

What system wouldn't 'seem' fast with 12 cores and no load?  I am not one
who believes it is good just because Apple says.

> I didn't get a chance to do much with Revolution, but it seemed to be fine
> in LIon. Did not try Remo yet.

If LiveCode can run stable in Lie'n, why can't RunRev make it do so in
64-bit Linux?

> Multiple instances of Quicktime, crunching DV down to 3 formats in 'Save
> for
> Web", got done before I returned with my coffee.
>
>  I also didn't see the dreaded 'spinning pizza' cursor as much or at all

 using Lion. It seems like Leopard is doing far more memory swapping

 ( or

whatever it's doing ) - and I've been seeing that dammed cursor more and
> also odd blocking 'breaks' with Leopard.
>
> "Launchpad" is a pretty obvious name. It's possible that it hadn't been
> registered before, or Apple registered it in 2002 or something. Apple
> probably has a busy department that does nothing but buy domain names and
> register trademarks.
>
>  On 12 June 2011 05:42, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>
> > The thing that makes me wonder is Apple's appropriation of the term
> > "launchpad"
> > from somewhere else:
> >
> > https://launchpad.net/
> >
> > they may have even nicked the logo:
> > http://www.volaciousmedia.com/portfolio/launchpad
> >
> > apart from the fact that Lion looks like a load of eye-candy . . .

I'd like to know to.

>  --
> Stephen Barncard
> San Francisco Ca. USA