Windows?

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon Jun 6 11:58:48 EDT 2011

Thank God we are a 501c3. Open Licenses do no validate as such, so we are running a number of kinds of XP, Windows 7 and Windows Server under Parallels for Mac.

What a stupid rule for MS to have! It HAS to be that hardware vendors are pressuring MS to make this rule, as the advantages to using VM's even singly in another OS like Apple is fairly significant.

A big one is remote support. Our Pastor does all his Bible studies in Windows because that is where all the good Bible software seems to be. Sometimes though, something goes wrong in Windows, where the OS locks or crashes in such a way that it stops responding to network software like Logmein. In these situations I can log into the MAC OS and control the VM.

I can also backup (snapshot) the VM on a regular basis, so if Windows ever goes completely south I can recover fairly easily.

I am wondering if the restriction is a VMWARE one? This is the first I have heard of it.

Bob