eBooks and LiveCode

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 1 17:26:30 EDT 2011

On Jun 1, 2011, at 2:14 PM, stgoldberg at aol.com wrote:
> Regarding the question of whether LiveCode could be suitable for
> publishers who want to create interactive eBooks, I agree that such
> books would not be published in epub or amz format, but how about an
> eBook created with LiveCode as a pure LiveCode standalone that could
> be read in the cloud?  Then, it would be accessible through
> Macintosh, Windows, and eReaders such as iPad that communicate with
> the Internet.  The question is one of typesetting and laying out the
> book so that it looks professional (Scott Rossi quality!?) and also
> would have a means to discourage pirating.  The advantage of
> considering LiveCode is the vast flexibility that it would have in
> introducing interactivity within the book.  LiveCode's potential for
> this presently seems to exceed that of current means of creating
> eBooks (such as using Quark Express for the Blio Reader).  There is
> a growing emphasis on creating eBooks that are not merely electronic
> versions of print books, but books that have something extra, the
> inclusion of interactivity in the form of hyperlinks, audio, and
> movies.  Could LiveCode be a significant contributor to this?

You might take a look at InteractBooks.com for the iPad.
It is an app that makes books designed for non-programmers.
Ezra Weinstein attended RunRevLive when it was still mid-beta, but I
think they were finally ready to go to the app store last weekend.

They have a lot of videos on YouTube that you might enjoy.

You re correct that interactive book publishing is very hot these days.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas