What is the fastest database?

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Tue Jul 26 11:52:58 EDT 2011

> For a desktop application, what database would you recommend
> for the job? I can use a flat file database, but the problem
> is that all 25 MB of data must be loaded into memory... What
> about SQLite? Valencia? Speed is of the essence.

Ill try to avoid a tag team with Ruslan on this ;-)

In terms of Valentina, your database is positively tiny compared with many
of our users, though the number of records you have are reaching the point
where you'll begin to see some real differences between database engines.

Ruslan has already mentioned the super speed. A few other points which I
think you'll find important in evaluating Valentina:

- Load it into Memory. Yes, you can do this - this can be done with the
local version of Valentina (Valentina ADK) or on the server implementations.

- Valentina Plays Well With LiveCode. One differentiator of Valentina is
that we have the means to support many development tools ourselves.
Paradigma is a long time partner of LiveCode. We compete against many of the
big boy databases (esp on the server side), but show of hands the last time
IBM, Microsoft or Oracle went out of their way to do anything to adapt to
the needs of the LiveCode community?

- 12 Months of Updates. If you like all that's a part of Valentina DB now,
it will get even better down the road. You get 12 months of updates, which
includes new features, fixes and performance enhancements.

- We Support a Lot of Platforms. We've been at this now for quite some time
( well into the "plus" side after the first decade), and we've been able to
support a broad range of development tools and operating systems (together
forming "platforms"). For this reason, you have a lot of flexibility in
planning your implementations - for example, how you might handle building a
"heavy" client and what might be on the server (PHP, Ruby on Rails, etc).

- We Got Tools That Do the Job. Valentina Studio Pro is a solid tool for
administering and developing your databases - and it supports SQLite, too,
as well as provide a visual builder for reports if you also get Valentina
Reports. There are also free admin tools for Valentina Server for iPad and
iPhone.

- We are Going to Be Here Tomorrow. The last thing I want to happen when I
invest in infrastructure tools is the vendor to either A) die or B) go
VC-Postal, get huge investments, then either get bought out by an unloving
god or do a bizzare business model change that messes with my business. We
haven't gone VC-Postal, and we are, for the most part, healthier today than
we were yesterday (well, a little hair loss and expanding beltline too).

I hope this is useful information for you.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software