AW: security code number generation

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Mon Jul 18 14:19:15 EDT 2011

Our own home rolled scheme relies on the customers email address as the
first part of the key.
So, a customer has to enter their email address, then the regcode. If they
want to share the app, they need to share their email address. This has a
couple of intended consequences. First, I think a customer may be less
inclined to share their application when they know it may be their PayPal
email address which is also being shared. Secondly, if I run across one of
my 'apps in the wild,' and it includes a full regkey, I can see quickly who
shared the app.

Of course, hard core regcode generator hackers may still create their own
codes-- but nothing I will ever do will stop them anyway. It ends up turning
into an arms escalation scenario.

What I'm after is trying to stop the 'casual' pirate-- the guy who 'lends'
their software to a friend. And, the last thing I want to do is to have my
copy protection get in the way of my customers use experience.

Like Jacque, our system also has a PHP version (which Chris wrote) so we can
automate the delivery of regcodes.