scripting QuickTime player

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Wed Jul 6 18:33:39 EDT 2011

Hello,

I've never tried scripting for a quicktime player. Tricky. A few tips would be helpful.

In the stack I'm working on, there's only one QT player per card. The filename of the player is already established at openCard, the sound files stored on a local volume. They are in m4a format if that matters. They don't seem to be encrypted.

The sound files are bird calls. I want to use the stack to practice recognizing bird calls. It all works fine except for one problem. In the first few seconds of each recording, a human voice speaks the name of the bird. I don't want to hear that.

I wonder if there's some way to script so that the volume is set to zero for the first few seconds, then turns up to normal.

Alternately, maybe there's a way to script so the player starts at second five of the sound file instead of at the beginning.

Can this be done? If so, I can probably make it work given a few hints.

If not, I'll just have to use a sound editor to cut out the first few seconds of each file. There are hundreds of them.

Thanks in advance,

Tim