on-rev upload limits and Amazon S3 as an alternative

Martin Koob mkoob at rogers.com
Fri Jan 28 10:05:51 EST 2011

I have been testing uploading via post to on-rev and have found the limit is
about 10.1 MB.  I was using movie files of various sizes and the largest I
could successfully upload was 10.1 MB.  If I tried one of 10.2 Mb it would
write a Quicktime file that had no data in it, it was  0 MB file.  If I
tried to open it Quicktime gave a 'This is not a movie file' error.

I guess this is a limit set in the on-rev server.

As a way of accommodating larger file uploads for a site hosted on on-rev I
am thinking of using Amazon S3.

I want to use browser based uploads to have users upload a movie to the
server and then use authenticated URLs to access the movie files.

Has anyone done something like this?