Feature support by deployment type - the state of the art?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Jan 24 13:26:31 EST 2011

On 1/24/11 11:31 AM, Keith Clarke wrote:
> Sorry Jaque but for me, cross-platform is only relevant for desktop
> apps. I bought into Revolution for it's web app development
> capabilities. The new LiveCode branding and positioning is all about
> writing apps that are deployable across environments - including the
> web, server (OK, pre-release) and iOS (not so interesting for me
> yet).
>
> I'd be very happy to be corrected on this but my understanding is
> that the current web component doesn't support stacks(?) Doesn't that
> mean that, by definition, no app that uses any stack-based add-ons
> can be deployed to the web(?)

Well, the server product just includes the language at present and
doesn't currently load stacks, but I believe that's on the to-do list.
But it sounds like you mean revelets. Those are stacks themselves, so
yes, they should support any third-party add-on that fits within the
restrictions of a browser. I guess that could be documented more fully.

You can include substacks in revlets and use their scripts, or display
them within the one-window-at-a-time restriction by using the same
window when you switch stacks. There's also a way to display two (or
more) stacks in the same browser window, and they can talk to each
other. Is that what you mean? Add-ons that require access to the user's
machine need to have their permissions set correctly depending on what
they need to do.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com