Feature support by deployment type - the state of the art?

David Bovill david at vaudevillecourt.tv
Sun Jan 23 08:37:32 EST 2011

On 23 January 2011 12:56, Keith Clarke
<keith.clarke at clarkeandclarke.co.uk>wrote:

> Yesterday's Live LiveCode Code event sessions touched on documentation and
> wiki possibilities. Whilst a key focus here will be on improving the 'What?'
> and the 'How?' of using LiveCode's functions, could there be room for these
> issue of Where/When/Whether to use functions, controls, externals, third
> party components, etc., by deployment type?

Hi Keith, I agree with you, and it is a central part of the content that I
think we need. Where/When/Whether translates for me to:

   - Where - an updated snapshot of supported platforms, what is and what is
   not supported in terms of features
   - When - an updated roadmap of features. The hard facts, and the soft
   directions.
   - Whether - things you should and should not plan for in a project.
   Rumours vs best practice

These elements are possible to address, as part of a general community
publication, but I think there are not enough resources for this as a
standalone publication. I believe they should be associated with the
existing documentation, and linked to an open source publication of useful
code, libraries and widgets.

At the next LiveCode TV event, I'll show the new distributed wiki, and how
that can glue the documentation, code samples and your Where/When/Whether
together in a way in which everyone has there own local content, but sharing
is transparently done in the background.